MIAMI — Alonzo Mourning has been representing the Heat for a long time — on the court, as a member of the team’s front office and as a prominent face in the South Florida community.
Mourning, who is Miami’s Vice President of Player Programs, will now represent the Heat at Tuesday’s NBA draft lottery. It’s the second consecutive time Miami has picked Mourning to represent the organization at the lottery, as the Hall of Famer also sat in front of the Heat logo in 2015 when the team ended up with the No. 10 pick that later turned into Justise Winslow.
The top 14 picks for the June 22 draft will be announced at the lottery Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. in New York. It will be aired on ESPN.
Heat general manager Andy Elisburg will join Mourning at the event, but he will be working behind the scenes at the actual lottery before the picks are unveiled to the public.
Miami enters the draft lottery with a 98.2 percent chance of having the 14th overall pick and a 1.8 percent chance of moving into the top three.