MIAMI — The Heat may not have a second-round pick in this year’s draft right now, but they will have a chance to get one if they want it.
Miami and other NBA teams can buy a second-round pick, with those selections usually available for the right price. Teams can spend up to $3.5 million on trades each year — from July 1 to June 30.
Miami has $3.1 million it can spend in the June 22 draft after using $400,000 to acquire Luke Babbitt in a trade with the Pelicans last July. That should be more than enough money to pick up a second-round pick if the Heat are intrigued by a player who has dropped in the draft.
“You can always get into the second round,” said Chet Kammerer, the Heat’s vice president of player personnel. “You can pick up a second-rounder one way or another. We’ll have our players ranked from 1 to 60. If there’s some player we had in the 20s, and all of a sudden we’re at 30 and he’s still up there, I have a feeling there’s going be the question — can we secure another pick?”
The Heat do own a first-round pick in next month’s draft. Miami enters the draft lottery, which will take place Tuesday, with a 98.2 percent chance of having the 14th overall pick and a 1.8 percent chance of moving into the top three.
Along with entering this year’s draft without a second-round pick, the Heat don’t own their 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 second-round selections either.