The National Basketball Players Association issued a statement to Deadspin today saying it is now involved in the situation. An NBPA rep has spoken with Bosh and agent Henry Thomas, though the statement indicates the Heat did not open dialogue.
“Our top priority is Chris’ health and well-being,” the union said. “We have spoken with Chris and his agent, and have reached out to the Miami Heat. We are hopeful that all parties involved can meet as soon as possible to resolve the situation.”
Bosh has been out since the All-Star break with an apparent blood clot, the same issue that cost him his season the year before. His only public comment since February was a statement released by his publicist in March saying he did not have a blood clot at that point and was “positive” about returning this season.
Bosh began going public about his desire to play last month, though, when he posted a video of himself shooting jumpers at the arena with the caption, “Still got it,” and his wife started a #BringBoshBack hashtag on Twitter.
ESPN Radio’s Dan Le Batard reported Monday that Bosh has been pressuring the team to let him play, but the medical staff has said it’s unsafe. The Heat have maintained a consistent “no comment” on his playing status and have him listed as “Out” every game with no reason specified. Thomas did not respond to a message seeking comment.